Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Why I Enjoy my Policy Class, and Others

Every Wednesday, I'm treated to one of my favorite classes: Philanthropy, Volunteerism, and Not-for-Profit Management. I've thought a bit about why I like this class so much. Here's what I've come up with:
  • The class draws upon so many disciplines: policy, politics, business, religion, personal values, international comparisons. First, I enjoy multi-discipline thinking. Second, these are topics that I'm well-versed in, as opposed to finance, accounting, etc. (although the reason I'm in business school is to learn core business concepts). Regardless, being in a class where I can bring my expertise and experience to bear is very refreshing and empowering.
  • We get to learn grammar. In the first 20 minutes of class, our professor went over grammatical mistakes we made in our papers. I absolutely love this.
  • My favorite classes of all time: social studies. This class reminds me of those other courses.
Speaking of which, a short list of my favorite classes of all time:
  • Language AP (high school)
  • Math team - yes, I count this as a class (high school)
  • Chemistry AP and AL (high school)
  • Government AP (high school)
  • Physics (Rhodes)
  • Martin Luther King (Rhodes)
  • Post-Colonial Literature (Rhodes)
  • The American Presidency (Rhodes)
  • Edmund Burke vs. Thomas Paine (Rhodes, taken at St. John's College in Oxford)
  • US Congress (Rhodes)
  • Islam (Rhodes)
  • The Synoptic Gospels (Rhodes)
  • History of the Bible (Rhodes)
  • Western Civilization after 1715 (Rhodes)
  • The World since 1945 (an international relations class, Rhodes)
  • My policy class (Duke, Policy School)
  • Leadership (Fuqua)
  • Ethics in Management (Fuqua)
  • Managerial Accounting (Fuqua)
  • Financial Statement Analysis (Fuqua)
  • Social Entrepreneurship (Fuqua)
  • Management Communications (Fuqua)
  • Many Spanish classes (Guanajuato, Mexico)

No comments:

Post a Comment