Thursday, June 30, 2011

State of Mind, Travels Ending

Writing on my iphone ay 23:40 as i wait for the overnight bus from Lencois to Salvador.  Soundtrack for tonight's contemplation: death cab for cutoe's "the photo album" - old school classic.

I'm having a hard time believing that I'm coming back to the united states on saturday.  Even after only 3.5 weeks away, the reality of being back in he US seems unfamiliar and distant. I think this is what happens when you pack in so many different experiences. I've become addicted to trying new things, being rewarded with learning and friendships,and wanting to repeat the process again and again. There are many reasons why I live traveling like this, but perhaps my favorite is... the unpredictability of what will happen and the expectation (informed by past experience) that something special will indeed happen. On this trip, Chapada Diamantina was the big reward. Hiking for four days with a guide that turned out to be a great partner throughout the whole trek - I never imagined that I would do anything like this. At the end of my four days, I found myself wanting more just to see what would happen. Before I go to sleep, a few random thoughts from Chapada...

The vista is more beautiful after a difficult climb. Yes, it's a platitude, but I learned this lesson over and over again in Chapada. Very difficult uphill hikes with vistas of valleys, waterfalls, and plateaus was the theme of the past four days. After wearing myself out during the day (I just tried to keep pace with my guide Nito), meals and skunky beer never tasted better, a rock hard bed never felt better, and candlelight or my headlamp were more than sufficient to do some journaling before bed. Its funny - when I'm in the States I easily succumb to stressing about the little things... What to buy, what to wear, etc. After days of trekking, my mind couldn't have been further from these small worries. Instead, my mind turned to appreciation of what I have. Even though I may not have a comfortable bed, it was prepared with care and will help me get rest. The meals prepared by the families in Vale do Paty were phenomenal, so I can't say I was roughing it in that regard, but you'd better believe that I appreciated all the food I was served. For mid-day meals, ham and cheese and juice hit the spot.  Coming back to my hostel in Lencois feeling beat and after making a few travel mistakes that morning... But then getting a welcome hug from 3-year old Floraluz made it all better.  Anyway, the feeling of not being dragged down by the unimportant things was liberating. This feeling is easier to capture when you're traveling and have  less responsibilities to yourself and others, but how do you capture the feeling in day to day life?

As much as I've enjoyed this trip, I'm very, very glad to be going home. My own bed, not living out of a backpack, television, and speaking my native language are things that I'm really going to appreciate very soon.





And... travel lessons of the day...
- Many people say dont go into a restaurant if its empty... a sign that it is sketchy.  I say go in.  You could have a very personal experience and chat it up with the server or owner who will appreciate your business.
- Bring something for kids.  Tim, one of Daves friends from college, brought a small plastic bag of plastic dinosaurs.  Gary carried a bag of small rubber snakes.
- Carry photos of your family and where youre from.  I showed a postcard of Barack Obama to the kids in the first (very remote) place I stayed in Vale do Paty, and the 10-year old immediately said Obamas name.  Hostel owners are usually interested to see where you come from.  I have a few family pics, the Obama postcard, and a postcard of the Birmingham skyline.  I need to update for next trip, though.

That's it for now. Im going to sleep.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment