Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The same, everywhere I go

I was supposed to be in Boise tonight for work, but got stuck in Salt Lake City because of bad weather. We took off from SLC, circled BOI airport, then turned around. For most of the flight I exchanged stories and jokes with an 80-year old retired catholic priest. He spends a couple months a year being the official catholic priest on Norwegian Cruise Lines. They pay his full fare... Not bad. He also has a stack of stories he's collected over the years (literally has hundreds of typed pages of stories) that he memorized.

So I'm in Salt Lake tonight. Tomorrow before my flight to Boise I'll try to stop by the big square with the Mormon church (although I can't enter - only Mormons allowed). I ended up eating at a diner called Robert's Restaurant, and felt right at home. There's something about getting out of the big city that I love. I've written about this feeling a few times on my blog. It's a feeling of being home. Of being down home. Of feeling taken care of by your waitress or cab driver. It's listening to Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, and Tears for Fears (all on rotation at Robert's Restaurant). In these situations, I'm in my element. My style is different than my dad's, but I learned a lot of lessons from him about how to relate to people. How to tell a joke (still working on that skill). How to be real with people. I feel like I can be more folksy when I'm outside the big city. I'm in my element.

No comments:

Post a Comment